Re: Frame stiffening (was: TeriAnn's article)

Subject: Re: Frame stiffening (was: TeriAnn's article)
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:33:55 -0700
Cc: TR list <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> We are talking sports cars here not long distance bullet trains.  Weight
> affects braking and acceleration rates.  Who cares about top speed when
> you are shifting a couple times a minute in both directions to keep the
> RPMs up as you slip through the curves.

Actually, weight doesn't affect braking much, unless you are talking
about brake fade after coming down a long steep grade.

But, chassis rigidity, especially torsional rigidity (which is where a
TR3 is lacking) has a good deal to do with handling, especially
transitions like entering and leaving corners.  It's always a trade-off,
but given the choice of going through the corner 10% faster, or being
able to accelerate away 1/2% faster, I'll take the 10% ...

After all, what good is a sway bar if the frame just bends instead ?

And BTW, redline in 4th OD is not unfamiliar territory for my TR3A ...

Randall