RE: Funny Clunking Noise & Carpets

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Funny Clunking Noise & Carpets
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:04:06 -0400
Noah,

Let's see if I can help a little.

>Charlie the '64 TR4 started to make a mystery clunking noise
>yesterday...when I go over  a bump, there is a hollow clunk from the
>passenger side rear wheel...>

In my experience tha largest contibutor to clunks in the back of a TR4 is
stuff bouncing around in the trunk. If you rule that out by stripping out th
trunk and you still have the noise I would look at the armstrong shock dampers
and the links in particular.  But that noise is more like a rattle/jingle.
After that check all spring attachnemt hardware for tightness and for the
presence of the big rubber bump stop and axle movement straps.

>Also- how do I get that damn carpeting to stay in place?  Adhesive?  Velcro?
>Snaps?  Hooks?  Where do I buy this stuff?

You didn't say whether the carpet is right on the metal floor or if a set of
carpet insulation is in place. I have a moden carpet underlayment bonded to a
double foil/bubble wrap layer under the carpet for noise and heat isolation.
No TR hot foot on long drives.

Whatever... don't glue anything down!!! I use double-sided carpet tape in the
palces where I will hardly ever go and Velcro in the places where I know I
will have to move the carpet more often.  A good Velcro spot is the front edge
of the long footwell piece... which needs to be tacked in place or it will
move when you get in and as you drive... real annoying.

Have fun

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site