The "age" thread (long)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The "age" thread (long)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:06:07 +0100
The preservation of low cost post war cars as a whole is a *relatively
recent* phenomenon. It should not be confused with the more esoteric
examples that were made both pre and post war and sold for
substantially higher prices. But initially, splitting them into these
two categories, does not mean their eventual demise will be different.
It'll just take longer to happen.
The cars we now cherish were made in greater numbers, at a lower cost
and still exist in greater  numbers in the hands of enthusiasts. But
the longer term outcome will be the same. One day, they just won't be
there for the infants of today or
maybe those who are yet to be conceived?).
In terms of practical everyday transport a 30-40 year old LBC is about
as sensible a choice of daily driver as a Red Label Bentley was to me
when I was 21. For most young drivers of today, reliability is what
they're looking for. They have no other yardstick of measurement. It's
*expected* - through ignorance and most have neither the time,
inclination, funds or knowledge to take on a different set of
circumstances.
Kai hit the button when he said that retirees ought to buy more. I'd
agree with that inasmuch as those reaching retirement probably have
the funds to do it more than younger enthusiasts - but the point is
this.
It is abundantly clear to me that many of the cars I read about on
this list (and others) are being traded at ludicrously low prices,
especially in North America. This has given rise to large numbers of
them being re-exported back to Europe and other destinations in the
last ten to twenty years where prices, on balance, are higher than in
the US and harden year on year.
A TR5 is an excellent recent example. It's rarity commands a high
price. On a few occasions over the last year or so, I've been to look
at cars for an American buyer who doesn't want to do a frame-off
resto. While I like him very much and no disrespect to him if he reads
this, I feel he is judging prices by North American standards and you
can't get a good car for a nominal price premium. It's a BIG price
premium.
Eventually, I feel the truth will dawn on most current and aspiring
American enthusiasts that if "you want to keep them, you'd better
revalue them - and PDQ."
This goes for all the later models without exception.
I suspect this is a forlorn hope but the time will come that future
enthusiasts will only be able to buy a Triumph or MG or whatever, in
which one issue alone will be the determining factor.
That'll be the size of the prospective buyer's wallet and the
determination of the seller to hang on in for the price he/she wants.
There will always be a market for many different types of old car and
the age of the buyer really is irrelevant.
The only way to ensure vehicle preservation for future generations is
to start buying and start hoarding as much as you can lay your hands
on NOW! It's unlikely you'll reap any financial rewards but as soon as
the supply starts to get restricted, the price will go up - as it
always does, so there might be a nominal legacy for your
grandchildren? The higher it goes, the more likely you are to find
someone wanting to buy your car who CAN afford it and DOES have the
commitment and competence to look after it, because they really WANT
it.
In only a very few cases, will that person have the callowness of
youth allied to a substance of funds on his or her side. However, if
all of you who live in California and the southern states are happy to
continue letting your cars go for re-export back across the Atlantic
to the UK and Europe at knockdown prices, you'll have only yourselves
to blame when there aren't any left. Many of you don't seem to have
realised that an ex-US car is something that interests us and for as
long as you're all happy to effectively give them away, we'll be happy
to relieve you of them. I've seen any number of basket cases of cars
that have stayed in Europe that are higher priced than far better US
imports. Do not forget we still plenty of kilo speedos left and
converting to RH steer for the UK isn't rocket science or cost.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI
"Loving thy neighbour" is fine - until you get caught