Re: Age Related Discounts, yadda, yadda, yadda teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id

Subject: Re: Age Related Discounts, yadda, yadda, yadda teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f5QFAxF13744
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:10:54 -0700
Kai wrote:
>I tend to think not, and opinions can never be incorrect they may be
>misguided and not accepted by the majority but so are many things.

Opinions can never be incorrect?  Kai
 that you would discourage
young people from owning an LBC is interesting and, well
 pretty
ridiculous and, by the way, INCREDIBLY elitist.  But that you think
an opinion can never be incorrect is really far more startling.  You
certainly DO have the right to hold an opinion about something,
whatever that opinion is.  But an opinion is NEVER correct by virtue
of the fact that it is an opinion.

Pardon me for saying, but this is exactly the kind of obtuse thinking
that so many people in this country seem to suffer from.  And, I
believe, the country suffers for it.

We (all of us) may have different opinions about any controversial
topic
 say, for instance evolution v. creationism.  But speaking
logically, in that debate there are three possible realities, but
only one possible truth: (without saying what I think that truth is)
As an example, either creationism is true, or evolution is true, or
BOTH theories are false.  Both theories cannot (in their strictest
applications) be true simultaneously.  It is a logical impossibility.
Therefore if you believe in creationism - again, as an example - the
mere fact that you believe it does not in itself make it true.  If I
believe in evolution, that cannot by itself make evolution true.  In
that argument, three outcomes are possible: either I am CORRECT, you
are CORRECT, or BOTH of us are INCORRECT.  We cannot both be correct
at the same time.  Now I suppose some people might try to nitpick my
point by pointing out that some evolutionists are including a
'creator' into the theory as well, making evolution the MEANS of
creation and that in that context, both theories are correct.  Nice
try, but no.  I was referring to these theories in their most
traditional, orthodox forms.  Any theory that combines the two would
be a THIRD theory and of course is subject to the same logical
principles.  And, by the way, I don't mean to imply that evolution
and Biblical creation are the only theories out there, either
 it's
JUST an example and I do not intend to spark an evolution v.
creationsim debate on this list.  It's JUST an example to illustrate
a point.

Folks, this might startle some of you, but to every question there is
a single reality, a single truth.  The questions can sometimes be
very complex, that's for certain.  But there is always ONE RIGHT
ANSWER.  Who has the right answer?  Who knows?  Maybe NONE of us do.
But we simply cannot be all RIGHT simultaneously.  It's impossible.
And, to be frank, it scares the Hell out of me to think that people
think otherwise.

By the way, Kai:  I purchased my TR6 in 1986, immediately after
graduating from high school.  I'm 33 now and out there in my garage
is that very same car, and dare I say it's in FAR better shape now
that it was when I bought it.  And had the middle-age DPO who sold it
to me chosen NOT to sell it, I guarantee you that it would've ended
up either sitting in a field with trees growing out of it, or it
would have been stripped to bits in a wrecking yard.  This guy was
indeed the quintessential DPO.  And while I'll admit that there were
probably enthusiasts out there that could have done more with my
Triumph than I did (being fresh out of high school and all), I can
say with great confidence that I am the best thing that ever happened
to old CF10732 out there in the garage, even though I was only 18
when I saved her.

Just give me a minute while I climb into my Nomex

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6