TR6 differential repair cost.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 differential repair cost.
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:28:06 -0700
Just as an informational and reference item. The repair of my blown diff is
completed... ring and pinion failure at ~320,000 miles. Several gear teeth
mashed flat. I removed the unit (About 1.25 hrs.) and took it to the local
Rear End Shop. We decided that a complete rebuild would be in order so went
for the ring and pinion all bearings and all seals. Total parts: Triumphs
Only, San Jose, CA. $474.61 with tax and shipping. (only place I could find
with everyting is stock). Prices were relatively a little cheaper at the big
parts houses but too much hassle splitting the order. Labor - $270.00 for a
grand total of $744.61. Full parts and service 1 year warrantee. Considering
that from what I found with the big parts suppliers, that an off the shelf
rebuilt unit if one was available would run $1200.00 to $1500.00. I think
this was a pretty good deal. Nice to have a unit which for the first time in
a number of years has no play in it. Comments? I'll be putting it back in
the car tonight and expect to be on the road again before sunset. On the
road for the first day of summer...ahhhh, life is sweet.

Deano