Re: fluorescent dyes o .com>

To: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>, "'- triumph'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fluorescent dyes o .com>
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:34:24 -0500
Lee,

I have one of those UV leak detection kits. I poured the dye into my
crankcase, ran the engine for 5 minutes, and put on the special glasses.
After shining the light around the underside of my car I was able to
determine that my front crankshaft oil seal was the biggest leak. The
cooling fan will blow escaping oil all the way to the back of the
transmission so you need to spend some time wiping it off, running the
engine again, etc. until you reach a conclusion.

I would wipe down the lower part of the block, the oil pan, and the
transmission case before starting. If you have access to a dark garage with
a lift it will make the process much easier.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com