Re: TR6 oil pressure question.

To: mhooper@pixelsystems.com, list messages <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 oil pressure question.
From: Larry T <llst@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:37:36 -0700
Mark Hoopers'   wrote "An oil  pressure story"

Similar thing happened to me 10 years earlier (1976). I had installed a
TR6 engine in a TR3 and used surgical tubing that stuck well on barbed
fittings. Drove this car for some time, made it to LA from Edmonton.
Well this is my first time in 5 or 6 lane traffic, and I am impressed. I
look down at my instruments and the oil light is on, quick check on the
gauge = 0. So the immediate instinct is to turn the engine off and pull
over. With the engine off, you have no signal lights and it's bumper to
bumper traffic with everybody knowing where they are going. Pretty soon
this dump truck is almost over me and he is laying on the horn. I coast
over to the side of the road and sure enough no oil in the engine. Luck
is on my side, as the law has pulled someone over a block up from me. I
explain my situation and he gives me a ride down to the first exit and
drops me off at a service station. I buy four quarts of oil and and the
service station guys give me a ride back onto the freeway. I could hear
a little knocking whenever I first start the engine and if I drove it
over 40 mph. 3 containers of STP added to the oil brought the pressure
up from 10 pounds to 25  and I and was able to get the car back home. At
40 mph and stopping to do some sight seeing, it makes for a very long
trip back up the coast and across the mountains. Don't have the car
anymore but I still have the engine.

Had many breakdown experiences ( probably one every 4 days) on this trip
and always got a helping hand from the guys South of the border. Didn't
have any problems with the date as she needed a ride home.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC