Boil over

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Boil over
From: John Summers <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:07:56 -0400
Friends and enthusiasts, lend me your brains.  Took the TR 6 for a ride
yesterday afternoon.  Not unusually hot outside, in the high 80s.  Car
usually - since '98 - has run with the temperature just below the middle
mark.  Yesterday it was just below the 3/4 mark.  I checked the coolant and
it was ok.  Checked the oil and it was low so I added oil.  This evening I
worked on the points and took it out for a 4 mile juant.  Upon return the
gauge was just over 3/4 and the overflow bottle was gagging.  Carefully
removed the radiator cap to relieve the pressure to the normal "fireworks".
To my knowledge there are only two things that can screw up here.  Holes in
radiator & hoses or  a funky water pump.  hummm, what about thermostat as a
third suspect?  The water pump was replaced two years ago and the hoses and
radiator have showed no sign of problems.
I know this is not a complicated problem but am looking for ideas.
Thanks in advance gang.
John Summers
'74 TR 6