Anti-seize angst and lug nuts

To: "'Douglas Frank'" <frank@zk3.dec.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Anti-seize angst and lug nuts
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:15:15 -0700
Just for the record, I've owned my 73 TR-6  equipped with American 8 spoke
mag wheels for over 27 years. The first few were in the Chicago area. Those
pure mag wheels required removal and repainting of the spokes and a clear
coat on the outer rim every year to control corrosion of the magnesium. Even
more so in climes where salt is used on the roads. Salt does a real # on
magnesium. After fighting lug nuts for the first couple of years, I
determined to never have to fight to get them off after a hard winter again.
I've used either lube grease or anti sieze on the lugs since 1976. The nuts
are torqued to 45 to 50 lbs and never once in all those years have I had a
lug nut come loose. Accordingly, the level of angst some have demonstrated
over this subject astounds me. By the way this is a car that has been used
daily (320,000 miles and counting) it ain't no trailer queen. It's been
driven under every weather condition imaginable from blizzard to flood to
desert temps of 110 F +. My considered opinion; use the lube make sure your
torques are even and correct and just drive! Oh, and if you are lucky enough
to have a set of original 8 spokes don't forget the lube on the center cap
spinner. You don't want to ever have the problem of getting one of those
untwisted once it has been welded in place by electrolsis betwen the
magnesioun and the steel spinner. BTDT and have the broken eared spinners to
prove it.

As an added note I'm still looking for one or more American 8 spokes for
back up for my set of 4, (used to be 5). And I'm willing to pay at least as
much as a new replica's cost for solid units.

Deano