Old wierd month three (plus)

Subject: Old wierd month three (plus)
From: "Ken Gano" <kengano@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:08:09 -0500
97 days, 7800 miles, the saga continues.

Well, Ole Weird let me down in a big way last month.

It spent 2 1/2 weeks in jack stand hell and I learned painfully, not to
trust the principal old world supplier to ship the right parts.  Otherwise,
we are back on the road with a little over 400 miles in the last 3 days.

Monetarily, the month was also a bust as I ended up spending about $250 on
parts that would have been less than a hundred, but for my impatience and a
breakdown in communications with the aforementioned supplier.  Once again,
the local NAPA store would have been clearly the better choice.  It's time
for the second oil change, but, otherwise the running expenses have been
very moderate.  The gas mileage has been maintaining in the low 30's and
other than the axle problems, we have had no major expenses.

I am still fighting a cooling problem.  Notwithstanding two flushes and
three different thermostats, I am getting erratic gauge readings.  It either
runs on the low end of the normal scale or the very high end and I see no
real correlation. (Ambient air temperature seems to make a difference but
it's not always related)  Knock on wood, so far it has not gone over the top
of the normal scale, but it gets close and we are just now going into the
dog days of summer.  I am beginning to suspect a bad sender or gauge.

It is still to early in this experiment to draw any real conclusions.  I
know I enjoy driving the Herald, and the gut impression is that the fuel and
depreciation savings are off setting the parts expenses, but I guess only
time will tell truthfully.

Drive 'em 'till they drop :)

Ken Gano

1958 TR10 (boys project)
1959 TR3 (the hot rod, garage queen)
1961 Herald (750 mile per week daily driver - so far :))