Re: TR2/3 Engine Assembly Q's

Subject: Re: TR2/3 Engine Assembly Q's
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:37:48 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rob :

Some "figure eight" gaskets were plastic coated, many were not.  If the
bend is a gentle one, then I wouldn't worry about it.  But if the metal
is kinked or creased, then I would invest in a new set.

'Wellseal' is a UK brand name for a gasket shellac, AFAIK it is still
made.  You could probably order it from almost any UK supplier (Rimmer's
etc.).  But, I use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket (available at fine
parts stores everywhere) and it will work just fine.

Try not to worry.  In spite of the dire warnings in the book, I've never
had a fig-8 gasket leak, and cleanliness is not one of my strong suits
<g>

The only point that I find unusual about these engines is the part about
checking how far the liner protrudes from the block.  Lay a metal
straight-edge (a carpenter's square will do) across the top of the
liner, and use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between the edge
and the block, on both sides.  IMO the range given in the book is on the
low side, if you aren't right at the top of it with a new engine, you
need to do something.  Either have the block faced, or get some
extra-thick fig-8 gaskets to get the right protrusion.  Mordy Dunst
http://www.headgasket.com/
can make them whatever thickness you need.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver