RE: TR6 - Two Lucas issues (long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 - Two Lucas issues (long)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:32:02 -0700
Rick :

On the voltage stabilizer, all you've established with the scope is that it
hasn't entirely failed (which you know because the gauges still work some).
That doesn't mean that it's giving the right duty cycle.  Install your
spare, or buy a new one to use for comparison.

On the battery, my first guess would be a bad ground somewhere between the
alternator and the battery.  The regulator is functioning, as shown by the
behavior of the ammeter, but the voltages you've measured are too low.  It
_could_ be a regulator failure, but that's not a common mode.

Oh, and I don't think your bench charger is working right, although the
problem might be that the battery has problems from never being properly
charged.

Another possibility might be an internal short in the battery.  This
sometimes happens when the crud in the bottom of the cells (plate material
that has flaked off) builds up and shorts the bottom of the plates.  But,
usually that makes the hygrometer reading vary considerably from cell to
cell.

Yet another possibility is contaminated electrolyte (eg tap water, or the
baking soda you used to clean the battery ...)

Randall