RE: O.D. debate: what about the TR3's ?

To: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: O.D. debate: what about the TR3's ?
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:19:22 -0400
Francois,

>- What is the type of O.D I have on my 63 Healey 3000 (BJ7)?

I believe all the Healy's used the A-type.

>- What would be the correct O.D. for my TR3B (A-, J-, D-, whatever)?
>Would any other type fit?

An A-Type is designed to fit exactly.  The others would require some cutting
and bending.

>- Can the conversion to O.D. be made from an original gearbox? I
>assume not because of the special main shaft and the precision
>interface plate that defines the centering betwen the G'box and the
>O.D.

Yes, you can find an A-Type OD in standalone condition and then find or buy an
adapter plate and an OD mainshaft... But the best solution is to find a
gearbox with the OD still attached.

If it seems to be in useable condition... you can gamble and install it "as
is" after cleaning it up, changing fluids and cleaning filters.  Or you can
undertake a complete rebuild over the winter and then just swap out your old
gearbox and install the new one.

The are sources for the adapter plate and OD mainshaft.  It's just a matter of
$$.  John Esposito of Quantum Mechanics in CT (USA) and Overdrive Repair
Services in the UK have everything.

I don't have phone numbers and the URL for ORS here at work.  Let me know if
you need them.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site