Voltage Problems

To: "Keith Tompkins" <keith.tompkins@pei.aibn.com>
Subject: Voltage Problems
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:42:05 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Keith Tompkins"
>While driving my entire lighting system will go dim. At the same time I
notice a significant drop on my voltage gauge. Maybe a few minutes later
things will return to what I call normal and the lighting system is bright
again. At this point the voltage gauge reads full charge. This back and
forth
dim to bright is continuous with random time changes between bright to
dim back to bright etc.
<

Sounds like an intermittant connection in either the alternator or the
voltage regulator.  The first thing to try is unplugging and replugging any
and all connections you can access.  Also check for corrosion whilst doing
so.  Also check for loose connectors.  The push-on connectors sometimes
loose their tension and will not make reliable contact.  Using a pair of
pliers carefully squeeze the terminal a little bit to make it tighter.
Don't over do it or it won't go back on.

Oh, and by the way, disconnect the battery.

Dave Massey