Re: Triumphs Overseas

To: <barteet@barteet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumphs Overseas
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:54:32 EDT
In a message dated Wed, 6 Jun 2001  1:10:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jeffrey
Barteet <barteet@barteet.com> writes:

<< I have a friend who spends time in SE Asia, and he sent me an email saying,
"Hey, I saw a car like yours in Laos!"...So he sends me this picture.... >>

Neat. Appears to be around a 1963-64 (maybe a year or two later) Herald saloon
with the roof unbolted and removed.

<< Does anyone know if Standard Triumph made cars in India?  >>

Yes, notably Heralds with the 948 engine. Later, Standard of India "developed"
the car into a four-door sedan, possibly based on a four-door prototype not
series-produced by S-T in England. Over the years the four-door sedan was, er,
restyled and renamed the Gazel. It kept the front shape but lost the
tilt-forward nose, and even reverted to a solid rear axle. There was also a
four-door estate wagon.

Triumph World magazine had a feature on these several years ago. Meanwhile,
I've been collecting photos from fellow enthusiasts of Indian Heralds and, to
quote a friend, RealSoonNow will get around to putting together a gallery in
the Herald section of the VTR web site.

<< I have been told that the motors that power our cars are also kin, if not
identical, to a lot of stationary agriculture pump motors and what not used in
India. >>

Don't know about that. I do know that basically the same Coventry-Climax engine
that was used in race and some high-performance British street cars in the
1950s and 1960s (such as the Brabham Herald-Climax!) also was used as a
stationary pump engine.

<< It seems a few of the parts for our cars are now made in India unless you
pay a premium for the UK stuff.  Is this because they're still using Triumphs
over there, or just a cheap place to manufacture the parts? >>

I think it's the latter.

<< Then in Rome, as we neared a church having a wedding, I saw what appeared to
be a Baby Rolls parked out front to be used for transport of the newlyweds.
When I got close I was stunned to find the Triumph globe logo on it. It's a
Town & Country/Renown saloon I *think*. >>

Yes, you're right. Looks stunning in white!

--Andy
Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>