TR6 - studs for wire wheels, caution

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - studs for wire wheels, caution
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:51:25 -0400
     Listers,

     So last night I began my conversion from stock steel wheels and
     bald rotting Red Lines to new wires and 205/70X15 tires.

     Started at right rear; removed the 4 studs; went to replace with
     shorter studs (ordered from TRF, 5 years ago, it's called planning
     ahead :-)).  To my dismay, the studs I removed were identical to
     the 'shortened' studs from TRF.  I double checked, yup, right part
     number.

     So I look at the left rear and find what I expected: longer studs.
     Still scratching my head about this, I then noticed the right rear
     wheel plate had very faint yellowish writing, just like the kind
     you'd find on a part obtained at a recycling yard.

     Looks like one of the POs had a failure in the right rear [axle?]
     and just had it replaced without knowing about the different length
     studs.

     I don't know if it is dangerous to run steel wheels with the
     shortened studs (I did for 5 years, no problem), but it's yet
     another thing to look out for when acquiring a new old LBC.

     Rick
     '72 TR6 - the 90 day wonder (bodywork, total color change (Sierra
     to Delft), total interior change (black to barley), new top,
     wheels, poly suspension all around, in 3 months)