Re: XK's Unlimited TR Thermostats

To: KAVONKLU@defrees.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: XK's Unlimited TR Thermostats
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 18:27:12 EDT
Kenneth,
The Jaguar aftermarket thermostat is not really a 'replica' of the SMITHs
sleaved one. The Smiths was an accordian or bellows type stat with a sleave
that operates in opposite direction as the Jag aftermarket one. The Jag type
is built upon a Robert Shaw or STANT thermostat (pellet type) and is fitted
with a sleave specifically to work with the Jag type housing. But it does
replicate 'cut-off' function in our TR housings well even though the 'action'
is in opposite direction. I'd say after very close scrutiny and my  stove top
testing in my TR4 housing with both the Jag aftermarket type and a NOS SMITHs
sleaved type that the aftermarket Jag one does a very good job (and is
excellently manufactured) - compared to my NOS  SMITHs I'd rate its
'in-the-housing-effectiveness' at a 95+ out of 100 on function. My car is in
restoration so haven't been able test drive either type though.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 - CT22326L