RE: Aluminum Flywheels for TR4, Pressure Plates, HS6 Carbs, etc....

To: Jeffrey Barteet <barteet@barteet.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Aluminum Flywheels for TR4, Pressure Plates, HS6 Carbs, etc....
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:05:23 -0700 a te.net>
Jeffrey Barteet wrote :

> Can I use the existing belcrank on the forward boss of the intake manifold
> with the HS6s, or do I need to make\find a new bellcrank that is centered
> between the carbs?

The HS6 carb shafts turn the opposite direction to open, so you're going to
have to do at least something with the linkage.

> It would seem that while the H6 carbs and the Strombergs were actuated by
> twisting the throttle shafts all the way forward of both carbs, I *think*
> the minority of TR4a that came out of the factory with HS6s were fitted
> with a bolt-on belcrank gizmo that went between the two carbs.
>
> Can anyone confirm \ correct me on this?

The TR4A with HS6 actuated between the carbs.  I believe the bellcrank still
mounted to the manifold up front, but the crank is much bigger and reaches
behind the front carb.  It still pulls down to open, but does so outboard of
the shaft, instead of inboard.

> Can you actuate the HS6 carbs the same way as the H6s, i.e., by the front
> throttle shaft, or do I need to start pursuing or making a bellcrank that
> will go between the carbs?

At least on the ones I have from Volvos, the center linkage is not rigid
enough (IMO) to transmit the force from the front carb to the rear carb.
The center actuation is superior anyway (less force on the front shaft,
leading to less wear) and as noted above you're going to have to do
something ...

Note also that the Volvo had the carbs at a higher angle than the TR4A, so
if yours came from a Volvo, you're going to need the pieces that set the
float bowl angle, Moss P/N 371-750 and 371-740.  For some odd reason, TRF
only carries one of the pieces, and has no plans to get any of the other
one, wouldn't even accept a backorder.  I also need a longer center shaft,
the Volvo one doesn't quite reach.  Then of course, there's the choke
linkage ...

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver