Re: Ignition Timing . . . the basics

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Timing . . . the basics
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:21:28 +0100
Hi Scott
I don't think you have shown yourself as ignorant and lazy, I prefer to
think of these qualities as inquisitive and resourceful.
It is fairly obvious that you have already looked into the timing issue in
some detail and with good understanding, and choosing a wide database like
the list has got to be better than looking at one book, how many books can
you ask to explain that again differently!
To your questions, if your dizzy were to move whilst driving home in the
dark and you're not carrying a torch, the twist it 'till you get the fastest
idle will get you home, if you were carrying a torch (or it was light) the
static timing will be better, I think you would find that the motor would
ping (pink) with the maximum idle revs technique, and maybe also with the
static timing method.
As for the stop to the advance, having never really given that much thought
to the workings, I would hazard a guess that it has to do with not firing
the mix whilst the valves are open, as the valve timing is fixed relative to
the crank position and on most if not all engines the inlet valve closes
after the piston has passed bottom dead centre to make best use of the
charge (fuel air mix) velocity to cram the last bit of combustible product
into the chamber.
I stand ready to be corrected on these points.

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon
1972 2.5PI Saloon