TR-4 legroom

To: ckoll@wyoming.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4 legroom
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 08:23:37 -0700 FILETIME=[2954DA30:01C0EC41]
Hi Craig,

I'm almost ready to put my 4 back on the road and have the same problem as
you (6'3" with long legs.) When I got the car I removed the center support
and radio. I've also relocated the high beam switch to the floor beneath the
original mounting point which gives me a really cool dead pedal. The most
recent mod was changing to a TR-6 steering wheel. All this stuff helps, but
I still want a little more legroom so I've located a pair of TR-3 seats
(which were used on early 4's) and am in process of modifying the drivers
side. I looked at a number of other seats none of which were narrow enough
though you might be able to get Kirkey to make you some custom racing $eats.
I never really considered modifying the wheel well since it's pretty
structural in that area. The seats I found are rusted out on the bottom so
after cutting out most of the pan area I've cut an arch  from the seat where
it hits the wheel well. I plan on reworking this area and replacing the
rusted metal before having an upholsterer create custom seat covers with
thin padding. I think this will give me the desired result, but only time
will tell. Let me know if you hear any other suggestions.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR-4