First Start of the Year - TR6

Subject: First Start of the Year - TR6
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:30:56 -0600
Fired up my old '74 TR6 autocross car for the first time since last
summer.  First I drained the old gas (by just hooking a piece of fuel
hose on the steel line going in to the carbs and pumping the fuel pump
by hand I was able to syphon it out) and poured in new gas.  I then
pumped the fuel pump by hand to prime the carbs.  While doing this I saw
fuel squirting out the overflow of the rear carb; however, I was able to
fix that by tapping on the side of the float bowel with a hammer.  I
then dropped in a battery and after less than 10 seconds of cranking the
car started and was running great. The brakes, clutch and everything
else seemed to work.  I did have to replace a fuse for the electric fan
and put air in the tires, but that was it.  I guess that says it all for
Triumph reliability.  In the last four years of autocrossing this car
the only repair that I have had to make is to replace an O-ring in one
of the carb float bowel drains - not bad, I know some people that work
on their cars all the time.  I plan to autocross it tomorrow in Kansas
City and expect it to do just fine.

Kevin brown
Odessa, MO  '74 TR6  '76 TR6  '54 MG TF1500, '67 MGB '71 MGB  '78 MGB V8