TR4A Restoration, your thoughts

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Restoration, your thoughts
From: "David Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:54:46 -0500
Hello List,
Well, I've had my TR4A at home almost a week and I am developing a "master"
plan of restoration. At several list members suggestion, I purchased a shop
manual and spare parts manual from TRF.
The chassis has definitely had work done on it. The frame has been painted
black within the last year or two. The rear suspension shows new springs,
shocks, rubber bushings, and I can see a new brake cylinder peeking out of
the top of the brake drums. The front has new springs and shocks. I think
the bushings are new but they are dirty. I will pressure wash the car soon
so that mystery will be solved. For some reason the front lower control arms
were never painted so they are rusted. I think the steering rack has been
looked at as the tie rod ends look new.
Things to do;
The safety brake handle and cables need to be replaced. I found the handle
in a box of parts. I only found one fulcrum bushing for the handle under the
passenger seat. Adrian was kind enough to send me a sketch of the bushing
and tell me it is nylon. Otherwise, I would have still been looking.. I
ordered new cables from TRF. I am missing all the hardware that goes on the
threaded ends of the cables so I emailed "Triumphs Only" in San Jose to see
if they could help me in locating those pieces on one of their parts cars. I
want to get the safety brake operational first.
This leaves the drive train, brakes, bodywork, and interior. This is where I
am stuck as to what to start on next.
I know the body has been off the frame to do the chassis work.
However, since the floor pans and outer sills are shot now the doors don't
close good. I suspect there is a slight tweak in the trueness of the body to
the frame from lifting the weakened body off the frame.
I am thinking of removing the engine and transmission next. My thoughts in
doing this is that I will have to eventually work on the engine anyway and
with the engine out I can work on the engine bay much easier.
I can also be working on the body replacing sheet metal while the engine is
being rebuilt. Does anybody know of a reason why this isn't a good plan? I
am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my manuals to start taking out the
engine. Rick Taylor is dropping over to see the car and I will get his
opinion. Maybe I should time the rental of a engine hoist to his arrival? Ha
Ha.
Best Regards to all,
Dave Connitt
66 TR4A CTC 71084L