Re: What is it?

To: A901949@aol.com, Triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What is it?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:33:38 EST
In a message dated 3/25/2001 12:41:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
A901949@aol.com writes:

> Can anybody tell me what year this triumph engine is? Here are some of the
> numbers that I found on the block. On the left handside there's a 3 and an
> below that next to the distributor there is a 1-2-52 the head has the word
> CROMIDUN. On the right side it has 3 C N. and below that it has 55 77 5
> which
> is near the oil pan. It is set up for a single carburetor. Is this an early
> engine? Thanks in advance.

Offhand, I'd guess this could be a Standard Vanguard engine (or possibly a
later Triumph Renown/2000 sedan engine). Is that 1 2 52 on the distributor
itself? If so, it's a date code for same. On the left hand side, there ought
to be an engine number stamped into the side of the block near where the coil
mounts (sometimes that mount partially obscures the number). If that number
is something like V xxxxx E, you've a Vanguard 2088cc engine. Nice for a
Vanguard (or Renown), but not really suitable for the TR although externally
similar in appearance.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register
<www.vtr.org>