Long/short bubble on TR4 bonnets....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Long/short bubble on TR4 bonnets....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 05:23:28 -0700
I don't know if this definitively answers the question about when bubble
dimensions changed, but I have unearthed the early TR4 parts book Brad
Kahler was kind enough to copy for me, and that parts catalog states the
following:

Bonnet #950121  Fitted up to Comm. # CT6429 only.
Bonnet #903178  Fitted from Comm. #CT6430 up to _Body #_ 37689CT only.
Bonnet #904130  Fitted from _Body #_ 37690CT and future.

This certainly provides the break point between bonnets of different
bubble lengths, if only that. I suspect the latter number is an assembly
number, which includes the second bonnet number, the hood location pin
and its mounting hardware.

It's also interesting to note that at some point in the production of
the later bonnet, Triumph chose to fix the bonnet not to commission
numbers, but to body numbers. In a way, that makes sense, since the
bodies were assembled separately, and perhaps, Triumph chose to assemble
and paint the bonnet with the body instead of installing it after body
was mated to frame and running gear. Just guessing, but it would be
logical to assume from the change in the numbering that Triumph
undertook some small change in production process, accounting for the
change from commission to body number listings.

Cheers, all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.