Changing from mineral-based to silicone hydraulic fluid.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Changing from mineral-based to silicone hydraulic fluid.
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:55:38 -0500
I'm considering changing from mineral-based to silicone hydraulic fluid to
try to preserve a new paint job.

In the past I inadvertently added DOT 4 to a brake  system that had been
converted to silicon fluid.  I think this caused the inside of both hoses to
the front wheels to dissolve and become plugged several years later.
    So --- I'm nervous about mixing the fluids.

Both ends of the clutch system are off the car and have been rebuilt and are
clean so anticipate no problem there.

The  brake MC and PDWA are also off the car and clean.  I want to avoid
taking apart and cleaning the wheel cylinders/calipers at this time.  I'm
considering opening the bleed nipple at one wheel at a time and injecting
compressed air into the brake lines at the PDWA to clear the system of the
mineral-based fluid (with suitable care to avoid spraying the fluid on the
new paint).   I would  then fill the system with the silicone fluid and
allow some to flow out of each wheel cylinder.

Any suggestions on a better/easier approach?

Has anyone converted to silicone fluid successfully without dismantling and
cleaning the wheel cylinders & calipers?

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (at paint shop)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)