Re: TR6 starting problems

To: dougbee@worldnet.att.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 starting problems
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:18:22 EST
In a message dated 3/15/2001 9:03:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dougbee@worldnet.att.net writes:

> I have a 74 TR6 that I am having starting problems with.  It is not a
> problem with the engine firing up but a problem with getting the starter
> to work.

Douglas,

A couple of possibilities come to mind. My first thought is perhaps it's the
seat belt module. If not that, then it may be the relay itself, or even the
starter solenoid.

Try this: Locate the white/orange wire and the brown wires on your starter
relay. Without removing the wires, use a short piece of wire to jumper the
terminals with the above wires together. That is, short the brown wires to
the white/orange wire. Make SURE the car is in neutral, the parking brake is
on, and the ignition key is off - otherwise, the car might start and hurt
someone.

If the starter operates correctly when you do this test, the seat belt module
is most likely the problem. If not, the relay or the solenoid is the problem.

Try this next: find the white/red wire on the starter relay. Jumper this
terminal to the brown wires exactly as above - exercise the same cautions! If
the starter now operates properly, the relay is bad. If not, the problem is
in the starter solenoid.

Of course, there is always the possiblity that the problem is in the wiring
and/or connections, so you may have to go through all the wiring to
clean/replace connections, etc, to solve the problem.

And, of course, all of the above assumes your car is wired correctly for a
'74 model - not always the case.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm