RE: SU carb float bowl valves

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SU carb float bowl valves
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:12:00 -0800
Paul :

I've run across several other varieties too, I believe the original valves
for my H6 carbs were all brass.

I've never drawn any correlation between valve construction and performance,
dirt in the fuel will jam any of them open, and I've never had one wear
until it wouldn't work.  However, I have observed that the rubber tipped
valves seem to visibly wear faster, and I normally replace them when I can
see the wear.

I haven't seen the plastic shaft valves, but I'd be suspicious of them.  The
'reformulated' fuel sold in California and other parts of the USA seems to
slowly attack many plastics that worked fine with older fuel.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver