Triumph mechanical drawings?

To: <rstirb@townisp.com>
Subject: Triumph mechanical drawings?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:06:04 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Rick Barnard wrote:

Of all the Triumph accessories, regalia and trinkets, I have never
seen offered - copies of factory mechanical drawings.  Wouldn't it be
cool to have a blueprint of a TR piston, for example, suitable for
framing?  Back before Computer Aided Drafting, some of those old
"draughtsman" made beautiful drawings.

Stroll about, sprout - some of those "old draughtsmen" are  younger
than me - and I ain't old yet <g> Verging towards maturity perhaps,
but not "old" in the true sense of the word.

The principal reason why few if any drawings have made it to the
public domain is that of public liability. There is no reason for not
making a drawing available for framing and visual enjoyment. There is
every reason for witholding them on the grounds of contingent
liability that someone would use that drawing and the information it
contains, to make the component and later selling it/them for profit.
The profit angle is not the focus, the material used and the methods
employed most certainly are. Making the distinction between 'something
for  enjoyment by framing' and 'the opportunity for a quick buck
followed by a possible death or injury and later litigation' is the
difficult bit. This is why archivists err on the side of safety and
only allow enthusiasts to look at the drawing but not photograph it or
photocopy it. They can study the drawing  and make notes from it and
make their own example in their own hand - but a copy or facsimile?
No.

Anyone have a lead on where one could find Triumph drawings?

Next time you're passing Gaydon, make a prior arrangement of the
actual part number(s)  you want to study. If we've got it among the 30
odd million drawings from 12 manufacturers (mostly on microfilm), I
don't see any real reason why you shouldn't study it.

Jonmac