Re: Solder (was TR3 Wiring Harness Prep)

Subject: Re: Solder (was TR3 Wiring Harness Prep)
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 09:40:19 -0800
Cc: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob Labuz wrote:

> I would use a
> lead/tin electrical solder . Radio Shack still sells the stuff. Get a high tin
> ratio, melts quicker, less potential damage to the insulation.

As Richard said, you want 63% tin, 37% lead, which gives the lowest
melting point (adding more tin actually makes it melt higher) and the
smallest plastic range (making cold joints less likely).  Also called
eutectic solder.  A quality brand will also contain very small amounts
of other metals (like bismuth) to improve the quality of the joint

Rosin core is also a good idea, it helps the solder 'wet' the wire.

IMO Kester 'Multicore' solder is about the best there is, but I use
Alpha (mostly because I haven't finished the several pounds I inherited
when a former employer closed an assembly line).

Randall