Re: '74 TR6-Zenith Stromberg Carbs

Subject: Re: '74 TR6-Zenith Stromberg Carbs
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:02:11 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Pouya :

Isn't that just a tad drastic ?  Assuming you _could_ buy new or NOS
carbs in the right model for your year car, they're not going to be
cheap !

My suggestion : get everything else right (complete ignition tune-up :
plugs, points, rotor, cap, wires; set the valves; throttles
synchronized; set the timing; make sure the vacuum retard and PCV are
working, etc.) then take it to a cooperative smog shop.  Chances are
good it will pass, but JIC, ask them to do an "off-line" test first
(assuming you're in a state like CA, where the results are sent to a
computer).  If it does flunk, show the guy at the shop how to set the
mixture using your tool.

The effect (on smog) of worn throttle shafts is to make the mixture lean
at idle.  If your ignition is in good shape, this will actually make the
exhaust cleaner !  One way to richen it back up a little bit is to plug
the vacuum line to the carbon cannister.

However, if you must change the carbs, I'm pretty sure the places that
rebuild SUs (Joe Curto, Apple Hydraulics, etc. etc.) can rebush your ZS
carbs for a lot less than the price of new ones.

Randall