TR Replacement Fr Wheel Brng Seal Question

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Replacement Fr Wheel Brng Seal Question
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:21:17 -0600
Some time back, someone posted to the Triumphs list a tip that had appeared
in a 6 Pack publication. This tip recommended replacing the sheet metal and
felt front wheel bearing seal with a modern seal, CR 13612, type HM21. I
have purchased a pair of these replacement seals.
Now that I am ready to install them, I have a question as to the proper way
to install them.

I trial fitted the CR seal to the vertical link with the open end of the
sheet metal shell facing the center of the car. The larger diameter of the
rubber seal fit right onto the vertical link, and the seal went right in
place. However, when I drive the seal into the hub, it appears the other
side of the metal shell is in contact with the back of the bearing.
Everything seems to turn freely this way, but if I have done this
incorrectly, now is the time to find out.

If you have made this conversion, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Thanks much,

Irv
74 TR6 CF22767U (with A type overdrive since 1983)
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58 (still slow, but it is not the car's fault)
Highland Park, IL