TR6 Cam Timing Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Cam Timing Question
From: Don Clark <d@seanet.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:18:28 US/Pacific
Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyone for helping me with my question regarding finding out if TDC
was marked correctly on the crank pulley. I used a piston stop and found that
it was.

I am trying to figure out why my 72 TR6 runs best with a lot of extra advance.
It seems to run best with about 20 degrees of extra advance at idle. That is if
I set the distributor to the stock setting for idle the car doesn't run very
well at all (low power, unwilling to rev). But if I advance the distributor
about 20 degrees or so it seems to run fine. The car has been like this since I
bought it a little over a year ago.

I plan on pulling the distributor out to take a look at the springs and see if
everything looks ok there tonight.

However, I would also like to check to see if the cam timing is correct. I just
want to make sure that the cam is close to where it should be and don't want to
have to use a degree wheel to do this since the engine is in the car and the
fan is bolted to the crank.

My question is: Is there a valve that should be fully open somewhere near the
number 1 pistons TDC. If so which one is it and how many degrees should I read
on the pulley when it is?

I figure this way I can just check the reading off of the crank pulley to
confirm that the timing is or is not correct before I do anything drastic.

Thanks again,
Don Clark
Seattle, WA