Re: Grade 8 bolts m .intranet>

To: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grade 8 bolts m .intranet>
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:27:30 -0600
Dennis,

While it generally true that hardening a piece of steel makes it more
brittle, different alloys of steel can have very different properties. A
more expensive alloy (like that found in a true grade 8 or AN fastener) can
actually be stronger and LESS brittle than a grade 5 bolt made from a
cheaper alloy.

You should be able to order new bolts from your favorite Triumph supplier
which are the exact replacement. There are certain fasteners on a Triumph
(like the connecting rod bolts) which have no generic equivalent.

If OEM spec bolts are not available then I would go ahead and use grade 8.
Many racers swear by AN/MS (aircraft/military) fasteners but they are
expensive. Unless you're racing and have suitable budget I would go with
grade 8 from a reputable source. After all, the car didn't COME with
aircraft grade fasteners and it's lasted this long. I get my fasteners from
a local Fastenal (http://www.fastenal.com) branch in Waukegan IL. If they
don't have a branch near you I think you can order on-line.

If you do want AN fasteners I've heard good things about Pegasus Racing
(http://www.pegasusautoracing.com) up in Wisconsin, but I've never dealt
with them directly.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com