Re: Wood dash recommendations

To: davidt@opentext.com
Subject: Re: Wood dash recommendations
From: Scott Bloomer <flaedersaft@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:57:34 -0600
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
David,

I just refinished my wood dash, with the help of my brother-in-law who
used to have his own painting company, does hand Faux finishing (that's
where the painted surface looks like marble), and used to finish wood in
million-dollar homes.

Our observations:
First, go to the VTR website and read Art Kelly's description. It is
invaluable.
Second, use a stripper and let it sit for a looooong time on the wood,
like overnight. The stuff they used to finish those dashes in stubborn
stuff.
Third, when you get it all off, strip with mineral spirits to remove as
much color as you can.
Finally, stain and finish with an indoor-outdoor finish, like
polyurethane. My brother in law sprayed on several coats an it's the
best-looking part of the whole car.