Re: TR250 hubcaps

To: nriedel@nextek.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR250 hubcaps
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 10:10:20 EST
In a message dated 3/3/2001 7:06:07 AM Central Standard Time,
nriedel@nextek.net writes:

> I'm considering putting the original wheels on my TR250.
>
> Three of the four hubcaps are rusted and the medallions in the center are
> faded.  The one looks so  good I expect it was purchased later as a
> replacement.
>
> Has anyone tried to have these hubcaps rechromed and if so, how were the
> results?
>
> Has anyone tried to repaint the hubcap medallion?
>
> Does anyone have TR250 hubcaps they want to sell?

I've long since learned never to make too broad a generalization regarding
any detail on any Triumph, but I was under the impression that the vast
majority (how's that?) of TR250 models -- unless equipped with wire wheels --
had the "pseudo-Rostyle" wheel covers. What you're describing sound more like
the TR2-4 hubcaps. I suspect one could have them rechromed, but I don't know
if it is cost-effective. Good ones seem to turn up all the time on eBay and
at swap meets, etc.

I would think the later "painted" medallions would not be difficult to
repaint, as opposed to the earlier "cloissonne" style, which would be more
difficult to restore.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register
<www.vtr.org>