Forwarded Message [Spring Compressors]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded Message [Spring Compressors]
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:08:26 -0700 (MST)
For some reason, this was sent to me rather than triumphs@autox.team.net.

What I do is take a clapped out, stripped spline, useless wire wheel adapter
from a big TR and chuck the splines in a hefty bench vise, the flange that
bolts to the hub facing up.  Then place the bottom of the shock and spring
unit into the adapter, it fits nicely.  Take a badly scored big TR brake drum
and place it over the top of the unit.  For those of you who don't have a
pile of Triumph stuff collected over the last quarter of a century or so,
feel free to order a new wire wheel adapter and brake drum from The Fat
Chance Garage.

Take two pieces of some stout threaded rod, a couple of feet or so long, and
basically bolt the brake drum to the wire wheel adapter gripped in the vise.
Clamp down the threaded rod pieces an inch or so, then undo the top shock
nuts.  This step sounds much easier than it is.  Once the retaining nuts
on the top of the shock are free, carefully back off the clamping nuts on the
two threaded rod pieces.  Hopefully you left plenty of room for the amazing
amount of extension you'll get from a standard Spit/Herald spring.  On Killer,
I don't have that problem, as the spring's free length is shorter than the
shock's free length.

Anyway, the wire wheel adapter, brake drum and threaded rods make a reasonable
facsimile of the proper spring compressor.  I could try to draw some cheesy
diagram if you don't see what I am talking about.

Be careful.

mjb.
----