RE: TR4 fan / Our Technical minds need to know!

To: "TR6 List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 fan / Our Technical minds need to know!
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:13:51 -0700

The above statement is completely incorrect. TR6s came stock with a
*mechanical* fan mounted on the end of the crank (same as TR4 I believe).
There is an extension which fits on to the crank pulley onto which mounts
the fan, and the later cars had an additional adapter to mount the fan. See
any of the catalogs (Moss has theirs on line via PDF files so you can look
at it today) for clarification.

What I did with mine is cut a spare extension in approx. half and have it
machined so that the stock bolt shoulder would fit correctly (I don't recall
the details but the bolt is a "special" shape bolt -- I've heard of folks
who used a regular bolt of the same thread with a big washer, but I chose
the safer route, the head of the special bolt is a different size than the
head of regular bolt with the same thread). I then had a spare bolt
shortened and threaded with the correct thread since the original threads
only went up part of the bolt. So effectively I have a shorter version of
the extension -- and this extension is still required to properly attach the
crank pulley to the crank. I think hits approach would work with any TR6
engine. I don't know how it applies to the TR4 engine.

Peter Zaborski (CF58310 UO)