Speedometer magnets

To: "Bob Rochlin" <rochlin@massed.net>
Subject: Speedometer magnets
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:12:56 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Bob Rochlin"
>Is it true that when a speedometer starts to bounce that it is a magnetic
problem and the it can be re-magnetized?  Honest, I was told that by a
responsible source. Does any one know how to do it?
<

I'm no expert but the magnet theory doesn't make sense.  If the magnets
loose their magnetism the unit would just read low.

If the needle bobbles about it is either the cable (as someone suggested
already) or the speedo needs rebuilding (probably bearing problems).  I
have rectified this problem with a rebuild a couple of times when the new
cables didn't.

Dave
57 TR3 (rebuilt Speedo)
71 TR6 (rebuilt Speedo)