Re: parts washer

To: kwaringa@dynsys.com
Subject: Re: parts washer
From: Scott Bloomer <flaedersaft@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:42:43 -0600
Cc: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Fred,

One of the newest solvents to become
popularized is fatty acid methyl esters. This stuff is made from
waste food oil and is completely biodegradable. I bought
some once in a coop in Sweden; the printed labels on the plastic
containers it came in were all gone because the solvent
was able to penetrate that kind of plastic and dissolve the
print from the inside. It's currently blended into diesel fuel
(ever hear of B20?) in some southern states, and is sold for
about $4.00 a gallon a real fancy marinas to folks who don't
want regular diesel smoke to soil their sails. Common names
would be methyl soyate, methyl cornate. If you go to a farmer's
coop (Cenex/Harvest States has something, I would have
to dig a bit to find a name for you), or look up FAME or
fatty acid methyl esters on the web, you will probably find plenty.

the alternative is D-Limonene, AKA orange oil. This is the
stuff that burns when you squeeze an orange peel into an open flame.
It used to be they couldn't give the stuff away, now it's in everything.
It is also environmentally benign, biodegradable, and won't  make you
so dizzy if you get too many snootfuls.

Scott