Re: Spring compressor http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring compressor http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:42:11 GMT
>Nope, unfortunately for spring compressors, the shock and spring are
>removed as an assembly (coil over type, shock has an integral lower spring

>perch with top spring perch/mounting plate secured to the shock with a
>couple of rubber bushes, caps, and nuts,) with the shock mounted inside the

>spring.  It creates a serious problem using most spring compressors in that

>the spring is so close to the body of the shock that getting a compressor
>that can effectively grab the spring without contacting and ruining the
>shock body is a real problem -

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS.   I AM NOT GOING
TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR MEDICAL BILLS.

I don't know how much pressure you get on Spitfire springs, but I can tell you
what works on a Lotus Europa.  Big hose clamps.  Yes.  I got a dozen stainless
hose clamps in the longest length I could find.  Clamped the shock assembly
in the big vise so the assembly was vertical (holding it only by the inner steel
bushing on the lower bushing so that there was no pressure on the shock).

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS.   I AM NOT GOING
TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR MEDICAL BILLS.

I then put as many hose clamps as would fit around the spring, top to bottom.
 I think I got 12 in there. I proceeded to tighten them as evenly as possible
until I could remove the keeper and then very carefully loosen all the clamps
evenly and remove the spring when it was completely relaxed.

The racing springs were easier to put on because despite the higher rate, the
free length was so much shorter.  On the rears, I did not even need the
compressor
to reassemble the coil-over unit.  Hand pressure was enough.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS.   I AM NOT GOING
TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR MEDICAL BILLS.

If I was to try this on a Spitfire, I'd get a feel for the pressure the spring
exerts at rest before charging ahead and pulling the keeper.  Another edge might
be to put some steel cable around the spring to catch it if things go wrong.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS.   I AM NOT GONG
TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR MEDICAL BILLS.

I have been told of a case wherein this was done unsuccessfully with a 240Z.
 No injuries, but great terror ensued when the spring got away from the
mechanics.

Oh, and have I mentioned?
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS.   I AM NOT GOING
TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR MEDICAL BILLS.

Phil Ethier