Wire Wheels

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire Wheels
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:57:23 -0500
Ok Guys and Gals,
I just got a set of used wire wheels from a 70's MG, and am trying to figure
out the best way to clean and repaint them. I am not sure if I will be using
these on my car, as they are 14 inchers as opposed to the stock 13s. Right
now I have just removed them from the car in a junkyard- three came off easy
as pie. The fourth one I had to get out the big book of nasty words to
remove- I had trouble getting the car up- first, the frame was rotted
through on that side, and the LBC jack went through it! So, I went to the
front. I would jack it up, and it would tilt and roll off left. So I would
reposition, and get it almost high enough, and it would tilt and roll off
right. It really did a number on the top of my spitfire jack(newly acquired
from a junkyard boot!) bending all heck out of the top piece. I finally
pulled the support from the opposite side, so it was more grounded, and got
it up high enough to get the rim off. I also managed to twist the end of the
jack handle(old, lying around garage variety, now shortened and reconfigured
to close to Triumph original) into a pretzel. I even looked under the bonnet
once or twice to be sure there wasn't a real big screw holding this car to
the ground!

Anyway, I fought and fought, and finally won.(Does one ever win with an MG?)
Now I have four 14 inch wire wheels, Plus the spare, Plus a second spare for
a spoke donor(the center hub is damaged, and it has an MG disc brake
assembly stuck to it!) and I am considering how best to clean and revitalize
these issues. I am also trying to figure if I want to use these when I'm
done, wait for 13s or take offers on them now.

Ideas, Comments, offers?

Scott
64 Herald 1200 Convertible with or without spokers