TR3 memories

To: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 memories
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:54:39 -0500
On this date in 1965, I bought my first TR3.   Doesn't seem possible that it
has been that long ago, but the memories of my senior year in high school
revolve around that car....  Paid $645 for a '59 with 47,000 miles on it.
Had to replace the tires within a month, but other than that it was a solid
every day car until it was hit by a bus in August, 1971.  In those 80 months
I doubled the mileage even though for 22 months it was "out of service"
while I was in the service.  I guess that last statement isn't actually
true.  I have several old letters that mom sent me in Nam that said
something like:  your dad took the triumph to the store yesterday... He
wants to make sure that the battery doesn't go bad...  or he is keeping the
tires round... or something like that.  (He drove it almost 4000 miles that
year  :^)

Enough of that...  I got my left front wing back from the guy who was doing
body work on it.  I'll post pictures to my web page in the next few days.
It had the typical pin hole rust spots at the bottom section in front of the
A pillar.  He did the repair completely through "leading in".  Other than
the slightly different coloration, you can't see the repairs.  $80 total.  I
gave him the wing to see how he does.  I think I have found my body "shop"
for the restoration.

Finally...  As others have said, I greatly appreciate the knowledge and
experience that is represented on this list.  There have been discussions
about topics that I thought I had no interest in or need for, but it is
surprising the information one does not realize they need for a restoration
project.

THanks

Carl