Re: Philosophy

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Philosophy
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:17:47 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <greenman62@hotmail.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "John Macartney"
>We have the '64, '65 and '67 winning cars at Gaydon -
but they are not strictly those exact cars (though I believe the '64
car, 33 EJB is as clse as you'll get to original) The reason is that
in the year or so that they were rallied or raced, they underwent so
many structural and technical changes for specific events that little
was left of the 'original' car that first ran to victory in a given
event.
<

Well, John,  I guess it all depends on at what point do you drive the stake
into the ground.  The life of a "works" car starts at the factory BUT all
through the season it is still the property of the manufacturer and any
changes made during the season are "sanctioned" by the designated factory
representative and at the end of the season when the car is retired it is
still the product of the collective efforts of the factory and the factory
supported and santioned field representatives.

When one buys such a car after it's "winning" season and claims it to be
"as it left the foctory" he is obviously mistaken.  But if he claims it to
be "THE car raced by Mr Richardson, his-own-self" (for example) meaning
that this car is the end result of the initial factory preparation and all
the various changes implemented by the factory sanctioned racing team which
helped lead to the racing victories of that season - then there is a case
to be made to support that.

As for me, I think the later would be more desirable.

Dave Massey