RE: TR4 Seat Springs

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Seat Springs
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:10:33 -0500 m.intranet>
************* Dennis Lambert wrote *****************

On another front, ISTR you bought your seat springs from John
Skinner.  I
also did, and have been riding on them (with a seat kit and
padding from
TRF) for about 3 months.  While they are quite comfortable, the
ride height
seems to be somewhat higher than I remember from my original
TR-3A. (Of
course that was about 30 years ago, when I was in college - I
don't seem to
remember a lot of things from that era).  Did your springs ever
"settle
down" any?

Dennis,

About your other question....

It has been a year since I did the seats but only 2100 miles.  I
had the same reaction about the height of the seats.  I kept the
old cushions and the new ones came out a good 2" higher.  I was
not happy at the beginning but decided to give them a chance...
assuming that John Skinner knew what he was doing.

They seem to have settled a bit when you are sitting on them.  I
am quite used to them now and find them to be very comfortable on
long drives, where as, the old shinny cushions were not
comfortable at all and killed my back on rides of 1/2 hour or
longer. BTW.. I added a 1/4" layer of upholstery foam on the top
of the seat spring just under the cover.  I found that the TRF
kit did supply enough cotton and horse hair to keep the springs
from being felt by my butt.

I thought of turning the seats over and using long nylon ties to
rig "spring travel restrictors".  This would make the passenger
seat back easier to move forward. But my interest has waned...
and in real life the sitting height position would be the same...
based on body weight and such.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L so to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn