RE: Gearbox bench test

To: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox bench test
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:07:02 -0500
Someone brought up the issue of what direction the shaft
>should be rotated. Could someone confirm this by telling me when
>facing the bellhousing in what direction should the shaft be rotated.
>Also how much resistance should be felt when rotating by hand, mine
>has  some resistance in the various gears but especially in 3rd, also
>selection is a little stiff itself, any guide welcome

The rotation is only important if an OD is attached.  Clockwise is the right
direction.

>From my experience... if my recall is working.  The resistance you decribe
sounds normal. Judgement is required here... it should turn freely taking into
account how much mechanical advantage and normal drag is in play.  It should
be easier to turn the input shaft in 1st and reverse and hardest in 4th.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com