TR's and cold weather

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: TR's and cold weather
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:31:44 -0500
Date line: St. Louis, MO USA
Weather: Clear and cold ; 5 degrees F (-15 C)

I know it's not best to start and car and not get it warm but just once
won't hurt much.  I attempted to start the TR's

TR8: after a few stalls it started and ran just fine.
TR3: Started up just fine.
TR6: Well... The TR6 sits outside and the Technalon II cover is frozen to
the car and I can't get in but it has traditionally had no trouble starting
in this kind of weather.

Conclusion:There is a myth that british cars don't run in cold weather but
a properly tuned car runs just fine.  In fact the MGB I drove in College
started and ran in -15 F (-26 C) weather when American cars wouldn't (this
was in the 70's).  My little experiment shows that cold weather doesn't
have to keep the cars off the road.  Salt, on the other hand...

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3 (Starts)
80 TR8 (Starts)