Re: Special Powder Coating Method

To: Jack Levy <jack@cocoinc.com>
Subject: Re: Special Powder Coating Method
From: Doug Bach <db10782@insync.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:57:36 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Jack,

I'd guess that you're referring to a product called a "vein" type coating, in
this case it's usually referred to as "Silver Vein".  It's a one package
coating, applied in a single coat, which results in an appearance of raised
areas of silver on a black background.  Most of the major powder coating
suppliers offer this product.

One caution is that the silver effect is produced by aluminum flake floating
to the surface, and the aluminum may may discolor over time, resulting in a
gray/black effect rather than a bright aluminum/black effect when first
coated.  Some vein coatings use different grades of aluminum which may prevent
this change, or use stainless steel flake.   The other option is to use a
clear topcoat to prevent oxidation of the aluminum over time.

Doug