Re: Borg & Beck-Education to the List

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Borg & Beck-Education to the List
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:11:44 EST
This certainly makes some  to me...please read submittal from "Dave". He
copied only me that I know of, so I wont reveal his address:

The operative here seems to be raised or curved fingers vs. flat.   (Those
running engineering changes on Cost Reduction projects will get you)

...it seems like useful information from a source that had seven customer
experiences. My B & B has flat fingers, BTW. Dodged another one.

Joe (A)

<< Hi Joe,  Just as a extra tidbit to this , let me try to fill in a little
 backround on this!!    I don't remember the exact year, but 5 or 6 years ago
Borg
 & Beck redesigned their pressure plate so that it could be used for multiple
 applications.  It resulted in more fingers and they are raised instead of
flat.
 This is the pressure plate that causes all the problems with hard shifting
and
 being  non-smooth releasing.  We had 7 clutch failures in customer cars that
year
 specifically TR6's. The early Borg and Becks work fine if you can find an old
 stock one with the flat fingers. I hunt high and low every year to find
these old
 clutches to try and give our customers a choice. We won't install the new
Borg
 and Becks. The uprated BPN or Roadster Factory clutch works well also. It's
just
 a little pricey. This does carry over to the tr4a's.  So if your old B&B has
the
 flat fingers, it should be fine to use.   Hope this helps!!     Dave