TR3 engine noise update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 engine noise update
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 23:27:23 -0500
Greetings fellow listers,

I finally got the engine out of the TR3.

Picture here:

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sassamon/images/TS21383L/11-18-00/11-
18-00-0005.jpg

If the URL doesn't fit, start here and click down:

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sassamon/images

Once on the engine stand I could inspect the bearings.  Crank bearings
2 and 3 had no babbit metal left and there were very minor scratches on
the journal.  Bearings 1 and 4 had about 10 per cent of the babbit metal
left and the journals felt good.  The center main bearing looked real good.

Although I could just replace the bearings and drive on, I have made the
decision to have the engine disassembled for a complete overhaul.

The engine will remain mostly stock.  If I can swing it I will go with the
87 mm pistons to improve the output.  My long range goal is to put a
blower on it.  This is why I am keeping the stock cam and un-shaved
head.

Henry Frye has recommended Precision Automotive of Simsbury, CT.

Any comments or other shops in the New England area?

Boy is it cold in an unheated garage.  Just a couple of hours before it is
too cold to continue working.
Roger Colson
57 TR3  TS21383L
sassamon@mediaone.net