Re: weights & measures

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: weights & measures
From: "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 08:26:59 -1000 (HST)
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 06:59:27 -0600, Lawrence R Zink wrote:

>The only reason I can come up with for the differnce is a
speculative one.
>But I think that the differnce was the ability for the English Trading
>companies to make more profit,  Sell the Colonist a short gallon for
the
>same price as an Imperial Gallon, automatic 20% profit.

Thomas Jefferson was interested in the scientific aspects
of this problem, and was tasked by US Congress in 1790
to report on it.  Here is an excerpt:

Measures of capacity
The gallon contains:
    224 cubic inches according to the standard wine gallon
             preserved at Guildhall
    264.8 according to the ancient Rumford quart
    265.5 according to 3 standard bushels preserved in the
             Exchequer
    266.25 according to the ancient Rumford gallon of 1228
    268.75 according to the winchester bushel, as declared
                by statue 13,14 William III
    271, less 2 spoonfuls, according to a standard gallon of Henry VII
    272 according to 3 standard corn gallons measured in 1688
    277.18 established for the measure of coal by the statue 12 Anne
    278 according to the standard bushel of Henry VII, with a copper
           rim
    280 according to the standard quart of 1601
    282 according to the standard gallon for beer and ale

So it seems our English cousins couldn't decide (or at least their
rulers couldn't) what it should be.  Jefferson recommended that
the US split the difference and use 270 cubic inches as the
standard gallon.

scott s.
.